Sunday, August 23, 2015

Start of a Hair Journey

As a Black girl, my hair has always been an important part of my appearance. For as long as I can remember I've had a relaxer and I have never seen my natural hair. I never had supremely long “pretty” hair, but I remember as a kid being the only little girl with her hair out. While all the other girls had twists or braids with bobbles and colorful hair elastics, my hair was out and straight. The other girls were always touching or messing with my hair.

        I'm rambling, but you can see how much my hair has been a part of the way other people see me. I loved my hair, but that is the key word, loved. Past tense. Recently (July 26, 2015) I took the scissors to my head and cut it all off. I was already in the process of transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. I was two or three months post relaxer and just decided to stop. I was experiencing extreme breakage. My hair wasn't showing it but every time I combed my hair it was evident, and laying on the floor around me.


        I had decided to get it cropped short to cut of the split ends and rotate into cutting all the relaxer out. About a week later I gave up, went into my bathroom and big chopped.


After all that I washed and air-dried my hair, and it was terrible.
I just couldn't work it out. I tried to do a twist-out, nah. I tried to ponytail it, double nah. I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I sat down watched a bunch of big chop videos and did the damn thing.


So, otherwise this story is open ended. I want to grow out my hair and enjoy every part of my journey. I'll keep you posted lovelies.
<3